Re: [MacPerl] Usenet: comp.lang.perl.mac ... ?

Well, uunet used to accept any and all NNTP submissions, so the question
actually breaks down to:

	Can you find someone to do a list to newsgroup and back gateway?
	Can you find a "well connected" host to deliver batched NNTP
	traffic to who will, in turn, distribute the news group world wide?

The gateway forwards the nntp traffic to uunet which distributes it world
wide via the various feeds of comp.*.  The end consumer of the newsgroup,
as usual, gets the group at his local site and need never connect to the
gateway machine at all.

I've done this before and it's pretty easy given OpenVMS and MX (your
milage may differ) but I strongly recommend that the same machine that
hosts the mailing list ALSO host the gateway for administration reasons
(and the fact that that machine has to be reasonably well connected in
order to support the mailing list load).

Dick Munroe

>Chris Nandor agreed that a comp.lang.perl,mac newsgroup was probably a Bad
>Thing, but then added:
>>But what about the idea of having a mailing-list<=>usenet gateway?
>
>Yes, that's a good idea, if some patsy^H^H^H^H^H^H well-connected and
>public-spirited site is prepared to run the gateway and put up with the
>considerable amount of leisurely NNTP traffic that it would be likely to
>generate.  Volunteers?  (Count me, my Mac and my modem out, BTW...)  As
>Chris said,
>
>>Then the main concern
>>would be the type and volume of traffic that might ensue.
>

>--
>Dominic Dunlop

Dick Munroe                             munroe@acornsw.com
Acorn Software                          (508) 568 1618 x1
267 Cox St.                             FAX:  562 1133
Hudson, Ma. 01749                       http://www.acornsw.com/

Need a web site? a web server? other web service?  Contact us...
"They told me to get Windows 3.1 or better so I bought a Macintosh!"
"Then they told me to get Windows 95 or better...so I bought another Mac!"
"Now they tell me to get Windows NT 4.0 Server or better...I've ordered
another Mac!"