Re: [MacPerl] I'm in MacWeek

>I disagree.  I don't see a need for AppleScript at all, except to provide
>compatability with existing scripts.  The problem is that the interface
>between Perl and AppleEvents is weak.  If there were a significantly better
>interface, the need for AppleScript would disappear.

this is a subject that's become increasingly near and dear to my heart as I
got deeper into Frontier and UserTalk.  in fact, I joined this list solely
because I was curious as to whether the rather geriatric FAQ entry on OSA
support for macperl had made any progress.

I do not think applescript's appeal would disappear if faced with the
threat of a fully OSA-happy Perl -- AS syntax gets the job done for a lot
of folks, and as that infoworld article points out, we don't hear about it
because it's often a competitive advantage for users to keep its successes
quiet.  It's not a beautiful language, but it's more than serviceable.

OSA-happy perl would sure bring some grins to my neck of the woods,
though... I haven't even figured a good way to call perl scripts from
usertalk scripts yet, and while usertalk is better for text manipulation
than AS is, it still ain't no great shakes.  I miss perl (and bbedit)
constantly when I'm working in frontier.

  -nat