Re: [MacPerl] nntp package

joshg@ola.bc.ca (Josh Gemmell) writes:
}Hi,
}
}	Has anybody used the LWP::Protocol::nntp module? It seems to be
}lacking in
}documentation and I have no idea what to do with it. What I'm trying to do is
}get it to yank news articles from groups. Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar both
}with package use and the nntp protocol itself. Any suggestions on its use
}would
}be most appreciated!

Sounds like what you really want to do is first get
<http://ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc977.txt>.  Now you know everything about
NNTP.  Next, write what you want using Net::NNTP.

After reading the source (the ultimate and authoritative documentation for
any Perl module), it looks as of LWP::Protocol::nntp only does news: URL's
with specific article numbers.  This doesn't work:

#! perl
use LWP::Simple;
getprint "news:comp.lang.perl.misc";

but this does:

#! perl
use LWP::Simple;
getprint "news:pudge-ya02408000R2506971826190001\@news.idt.net";

}
}-josh
}                       Open Learning Agency
}4355 Mathissi Place, Burnaby, B.C. Canada, V5G 4S8 (604) 431-3000

---
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 693, Greenbelt, MD 20771