Re: [MacPerl] HTML::Entities on the Mac

Michael Schuerig <uzs90z@ibm.rhrz.uni-bonn.de> writes:
}HTML::Entities (from LWP) converts between HTML entities and ISO-8859/1.
}Unfortunately the Mac and ISO charsets diverge. Has anyone adapted the
}module to the Mac charset already or are there good reasons not to do this?

There's no good reason not to do it, so go ahead and do it if you need to.

The reasons I didn't are the following.  First, you can never tell what
font is being used on a Mac (well, I suppose you can find out by making the
appropriate toolbox call), and so one never knows if the user hasn't
already installed an ISO font to use for web work.  You may wind up doing
exactly the wrong thing.  Second, I didn't think that it was likely  anyone
would actually want to display outside of a browser (which already knows
how to translate) anything they did with LWP, because primarily I was
thinking about my own use of LWP, which is to download and manipulate HTML.
If you're trying to convert from Mac to entities, obviously you hae to fix
the module, but it is a straightforward thing to do.

}
}Michael

--------
Paul J. Schinder