Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl::SetFileInfo Help (fwd)

Some time around 7/2/97 5:15 PM , Chris Nandor wrote something about

>>open ( OUT, ">$myNewFile" );
>># do stuff to the file
>>MacPerl::SetFileInfo ( 'ALFA', 'TEXT', $myNewFile );
>>close ( OUT );
>>
>>does not always result in what I want, which is an Alpha text file, in
>>this case.  Sometimes the resulting file is an MPW text file.  If the
>>Finder says it didn't work, then it didn't.  The desired effect was not
>>achieved.
>
>That is not necessarily the case.  The Finder can incorrectly report the
>file type.

The only time I've ever seen Finder incorrectly report a file type was
when an app had poorly implemented 'BNDL' and 'FREF' resources that
confused Finder as to what types of files it supports.  I had this
problem when I was receiving files made by the freeware DropStuff app,
while I use StuffIt Deluxe - the Finder reported these files as plain
documents and displayed their type as 'SITx', which is supposed to be the
file type for corrupted .sit files, according to Aladdin (it was a while
ago, so I don't remember the specifics, but I had a week-long
correspondence with a helpful tech there that resolved this for me).

At any rate, and more to the point, if Finder incorrectly reports a file
type, it also incorrectly sends that file to whatever app it thinks made
that file when you 2click, so the result is, again, not the desired one,
and the fact that Finder is incorrectly reporting the file type becomes
academic.  I care about results, not reports.

Mark Manning wrote at 7/2/97, 2:13 p.m.
[snip]
>You just ensure
>that the file is there before you start attempting to do
>anything with the file.
[snip]
> I really do not see this as a serious
>bug.  I see it as that is just how the OS works.

That works for me.

Dave Beverly
webmaster@thecitizennews.com -- http://www.thecitizennews.com/
Mac Manipulator
"I don't do windows!"

**
MacOS is an operating system; OS/2 is half an operating system; windoze
is a shell; DOS is a boot partition virus... where do you want to go
today?