Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl::SetFileInfo Help (fwd)

>Some time around 7/2/97 5:15 PM , Chris Nandor wrote something about
>>That is not necessarily the case.  The Finder can incorrectly report the
>>file type.

>At any rate, and more to the point, if Finder incorrectly reports a file
>type, it also incorrectly sends that file to whatever app it thinks made
>that file when you 2click, so the result is, again, not the desired one,
>and the fact that Finder is incorrectly reporting the file type becomes
>academic.  I care about results, not reports.

Well, my experience with the MacOS 7.5 finder is that it is
slow in updating the icon when I change file types. Usually, when
I download text files from a UNIX-box which have names wo
extensions (too lazy to bother renaming them) - I get them as
generic UNIX text files on my mac. I open them using BBEdit lite
and change the eol characters, do additional cleaning up if needed
and save them as BBedit files.

Despite that, their icons remain the 'blank sheet' generic ones
for a while, particularly if I am running some other processes at
the same time. A "get info" will force the finder to update its own
notion of what the file type is. Alternatively one can just wait a
while until the finder gets to updating the info on its own.

Consequently, I don't think that this is necessarily a MacPERL
problem.... Norton Disk Doctor did NOT report any missing
BNDL or FREF bits on the files in question, after all.

Holger Skok
ITW Uni Stuttgart
E Plumbum Uranium