Re: [MacPerl] MacPerl::SetFileInfo Help (fwd)

Matthias Ulrich Neeracher writes:
|>The two bits of Finder goofiness are why you should [...] always clear a
|>file's Initted bit *after* manipulating information about the file
|>(like creator and type, dates, etc.)
|Ah *that* certainly explains the phenomena people have experienced.

Yes, and after I posted, I realized it also explains why someone wasn't
seeing a problem in earlier versions of MacPerl, but now do. Early
versions of 5.x didn't give time to background apps, so the Finder only
got to run (and notice the new file) after the perl script had run and the
creator and types had been set. The most recent release of MacPerl *does*
give time to background apps, so the little scenario in my previous
article can happen, while it couldn't before.

|The implementation of MacPerl::SetFileInfo omitted clearing the inited flag
|and so far I haven't bothered to update the modification date. This is going to
|get fixed ASAP.

That's probably a good idea. :-) However, note that clearing the Initted
bit also tells the Finder to reposition the file's icon, so it could move
if the file's folder is open and being viewed by icon or small icon (or
button if you're running 8.0 :-)).

Brian