[MacPerl] CopyBits with theGUI modules

I'm trying to record a CopyBits call into a pict handle.  The code follows:

$pict2 = OpenCPicture $dstRect;
ClipRect $dstRect;
CopyBits $win2->window->portBits, $win3->window->portBits, $dstRect, $dstRect, srcCopy;
ClosePicture;

This code will create a bitmapped image, but what I need is a color image.  If I comment out eveything except the CopyBits line, I get a color image.

Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?
Could this be related to how OpenCPicture is being called from the GUI modules?

Thanks for any help in advance,
Kevin