Re: [MacPerl] Macchat.pl

pudge@pobox.com (Chris Nandor) writes:
}At 8.42 7/8/97, Strider wrote:
}>if there's an alternative to sending mail by macchat.pl and MacSMTP that
}>does NOT involve actually doing all the socket work myself, I'd love to
}>hear it, especially if macchat.pl isn't available.
}
}Check out libwww-perl and libnet on Paul's site.
}
}        http://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/MacPerl.html
}
}You don't have to handle socket calls.  You can use objects and methods to
}simply create, manipulate, and send mail (along with fetching web pages,
}FTPing files, etc.).

Don't forget Graham Barr's MailTools, which is also available on mors in a
MacPerl ready version.  It provides a better interface than Net::SMTP for
actually constructing mail, although in the end it uses libnet to actually
send it.  Since Chris mentioned libwww-perl-5 for mailto:'s several weeks
ago, I quickly fixed libwww-perl-5 so that mailto:'s now  actually work, by
using Mail::Internet. (LWP tried a pipe to /usr/lib/sendmail prior to that,
which of course will fail on most Macs).

The very first issue of the Perl journal has an article by Graham Barr
about using MailTools.  The article is probably not at http://www.tpj.com/,
but the code almost certainly is.

}
}--
}Chris Nandor                 pudge@pobox.com                 http://pudge.net/
}%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'08 24 09 0B CE 73 CA 10  1F F7 7F 13 81 80 B6 B6'])

---
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center
Code 693, Greenbelt, MD 20771