[MacPerl] xmcds, macperl

I'm considering using macperl to control visual perception experiments.

Ideally, I'd like to do something like call an xcmd to put up a full-screen
window, synch visual presentation to the vertical retrace of the monitor,
and use the mac toolbox for drawing the presentation.

I can do all of this outside macperl, the question is, can these be done
within an xcmd (esp installing vbl task)? If so, are there any good
examples available of xcmds within perl?
Thanks,
Rob