[MacPerl] OSA Extention for PERL

Awhile back, a MacPERL OSA extention was released. If it worked (which it
generally doesn't =) it would allow the Script Editor to edit PERL scripts
(yipee) and (if I understand correctly) allow PERL scripts to be accessed
as standalones like Applescript Standalones and droplets.

This, to my mind, would be wonderful. Apple might even be convinced to add
the plugin to its standard Rhapsody distribution (two languages, one native
to each box, that could be used in both) which would also allow PERL
scripts from openSTEP to be used with ease, and without the necessity of an
application, which seems like it MAY (I hope not) become defunct with
Rhapsody.

It would also be extremely advantageous for web site developers, because
the software would be loaded as part of the system- it would be even
faster, and require less RAM (at least, I think it probably would =).

One of the most major setbacks of macintosh-based perl is that scripts
can't just be distributed, like they can in UNIX. You also need the
application, libraries, etc. If you make a standalone, it's huge- over 1
meg. The perl script itself might only be 5k.

Anyway, that's my two cents. It probably won't save macPERL (if it's in
jeopardy, I haven't really been keeping up) but I'd sure use it.

-strider