Re: [MacPerl] OSA Extention for PERL

sstrat@globaldialog.com (Steven J. Stratford) writes:
}>In my experience, system extensions mean trouble (conflicts etc, so that
}>the Mac won't boot like it should). I never had this kind of trouble
}>with MacPerl. Hell, you even don't have to INSTALL it! Simply copying
}>the MacPerl folder is enough!
}>
}
}I'm a MacPerl newbie (there I got that off my chest). Speaking of
}installing, the MacPerl README that comes with the latest version says you
}"install" macperl with these commands:
}
}        rm -f config.sh
}        sh Configure
}        make
}        make test
}        make install

That README is left over from the Unix distribution.  The instructions here are for installing Perl on a Unix machine.

}
}Something's not clicking here for me. Are these one-liners? Should they be
}put in a script? Are they really necessary? MacPerl apparently runs and
}will compile scripts without being "installed". I'm missing the point of
}_something_.
}
}Also it mentions a "myconfig" file that I can't find anywhere.
}
}Thanks for any help you can give me.
}
}(If I can get that straightened out I have another question about
}installing "libnet-1.0505" using the makefile.pl.)

You don't install anything using any Makefile.PL, since they don't work without Unix utilities (in particular "make").  If you want a MacPerl ready version of libnet, go to <ftp://mors.gsfc.nasa.gov/pub/MacPerl/Scripts/>, which you install by placing the contents in your MacPerl library search path.

}
}Steven J. Stratford, PhD
}Stratford Enterprises
}We can put your database on the Internet!
}http://www.stratfordenterprises.com
}

---
Paul J. Schinder