Re: [MacPerl] 513r2 and 514b2 problems on a 68K

This is probably something easy for the cognoscenti to suggest a fix for,
and I very hope much so.  I have had much trouble trying to install 514b2
and 513r2 on a Quadra 950 at home; of course, everything is running
wonderfully on a newer 9600.  The symptoms are as follows:

514b2
======
The VISE installers unpack automatically fine.  They then refuse to run
returning the dialogue box with the message:

"Mac_Perl_514b2_appl_cfm68K" could not be opened, because its current
memory size of 1,640K is too low.  To open "Mac_Perl_514b2_appl_cfm68K,"
select Get Info and raise the Minimum and Preferred Memory sizes to at
least 640K.

The 1,640K is not a typo; I had already given the installer an extra 1M
after the first warning.  The machine has 40M of RAM so there should be no
problem, and no other applications are running except the system, which can
be taking as little as less than 2M of memory.

This behavior takes place under my default MacOS 7.6.1 (Finder 7.5.6) or
under MacOS 7.5.5 (Finder 7.5.6), with Extensions OFF or ON;  I've also
tried Virtual Memory OFF and ON.  The phenomenon arises with both VISE
installers, "Mac_Perl_514b2_appl_cfm68K" and "Mac_Perl_514b2_appl" (I
understand this latter would not have installed a correct MacPerl version
for the machine but I wanted to test that VISE too).

513r2
======
These seem to install but do not run right.  It is possible to create and
run the  minimum script ' print "Hello!\n"; ' and it does its job.  However
trying anything more, including opening the README.MAC document, for
instance, causes an immediate crash.

It seemed to me for a while that the 513r2 installer was refusing to
provide the correct version for the 950, installing instead the PowerPC
version.  I tried both "the correct version for this Mac" and the "68K"
options.   Nonetheless I seemed to have files labelled "MacPerl.PPC
document" around.  Repeated Desktop rebuilding and 'Nortoning" following
the crashes seems to have got the file types correct, or it could have been
the attempt to install 514b2 that did it.

The crash is usually caught by MacsBug 6.5.3, and it is possible to ES
alright, possibly after a couple of tries.  I can provide a copy of a
StdLog output from MacsBug following such a crash if asked.

========

The MacPerl port is a wonderful thing and  much to be applauded, and even
wondered at. The MacPerl list too seems full of interesting information
tidbits, though I understand only a small portion, and I appreciate that
greatly.

 Grossartige Leistung, Matthias!

		Patrick Ion

Patrick  D. F. Ion                  NET : ion@math.ams.org
Associate Editor                    TEL : (313)-996-5273
                                    FAX : (313)-996-2916
Mathematical Reviews
P. O. Box 8604                 OR   416 Fourth Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48107-8604            Ann Arbor, MI 48104

UM Campus ZIP: 4816