Re: [MacPerl] Conference Revisted [off-topic]

At 01:24 -0700 on 970825, Matthias Ulrich Neeracher wrote:
> darrylc@foothills.eznet.com (Darryl Caldwell)
> >There were about fifteen of us at the MacPerl BOF. We met by the pool side
> >and got a chance to talk about how we use MacPerl. [...] We all wished
> >Matthias could have been there to receive a much deserved slap on the back
> >for a job well done.
>
> I *bet* you all wished that; set up a meeting "by the pool side" and then
>give
> me a "much deserved slap on the back". Never mind, I hope you'll manage to
> throw me into a pool next time around :-)

Actually, I don't _think_ this was what Darryl had in mind.  But, hey, good
ideas are always welcome :-)

I also enjoyed the conference and it was fun to meet with other Mac and
MacPerl users; I think we gained a few folks who have used Perl and Macs
but hadn't used both together before.  Next year we shall make sure there
is a more "official" BOF (the Birds of a Feather sessions were somewhat ad
hoc this year; but over all, for a first conference (and one they started
planning less than 4 months ago!) it was quite good!

The Mac folks met again the next day at lunchtime; we just "flocked
together" and talked Macs and Perl.

A few things Darryl didn't mention:

Attendees all got a copy (gosh!) of the new Advanced Perl Programming book.
This looks like a great book; get a copy or talk your management into
buying one for you!

It looks like the Perl Institute (www.perl.org) is getting a "shot in the
arm" with a board of directors set up and useful direction from some of the
heavy hitters.  (I missed the first half hour of this discussion dues to a
room change; maybe Chris could say something about this? Was there anything
that the MacPerl community can do here?)

There was lots of commentary on Win32 during the conference; not much was
said (in the sessions) about Macintosh.  Maybe next year we can make a
bigger dent. One thing to note: my thanks to Matthias for his faithfulness
to Perl in general and his implementation of #! ("the shebang line") in
particular.  One attendee asked how to turn on taint-checking if he
couldn't use -T; was there another way to turn this on that didn't use the
#! line (apparently the Windows Perl port doesn't use the #! line ?!).  And
another commented that "It's a good thing that There's More Than One Way To
Do It because under Windows, most of them don't work. "

I've been very pleased that under MacOS, most of them _do_ work. Including #!.

Thanks, Matthias!

- Vicki

Vicki Brown, vlb@apple.com  <> Journeyman Sourcerer: Scripts & Philtres
...Toolsmith, Firewarden, Web Gardener, Stagehand, *nixophiliac, JAPH...
Apple Computer: Rhapsody Core OS <> MkLinux: http://www.mklinux.apple.com
      	            ___   UNIX is user-friendly   ___
   (It just isn't promiscuous about which users it is friendly with)