Re: [MacPerl] A perl by any other name... (gratitude)

Hi,

I wasn't actually saying that I wanted to switch. I was just wondering what
else was out there -- if there were indeed something better than BBEdit.
Alpha doesn't really seem necessary to what I do, so I'll probably stick
with BBEdit.

Thanks,
Rich

At 02:48 PM 8/25/97 -0700, you wrote:
>At 12:16 -0700 on 970819, Webmaster wrote:
>> I must say, I probably wouldn't use MacPerl if I didn't have BBEdit. Word 6
>> is too big and bulky for my 2nd-generation PowerMac, I can't get my hands
>> on Word 5, and SimpleText never ceases to infuriate me. (But then again,
>> anything's better than emacs!) Does anyone use a different editor with
>> MacPerl, something with multiple-level undos? I'm not all that familiar
>> with Macs, so any info is greatly appreciated.
>

>A lot of people like Alpha (as you can see from the list).
>
>However, as you are already using BBEdit, I must ask why you want to switch
>to something else.  BBEdit has multiple undo capability; it's got
>syntax-sensitive coloration; it's got complete regular expressions; it's
>got extensions to let you run MacPerl scripts from BBEdit and edit from
>inside MacPerl; it's got multi-file find/replace.
>
>What's missing?
>
>If you've been using BBEdit Lite, check out the commercial version of
>BBEdit.  The upgrade price is pretty good if you've already got Lite or a
>"competitive" product (see the Web site).  BBEdit 4.5 has complete support
>for Perl 5.0 syntax, an HTML table editor and various additional
>improvements.
>
>I'm not knocking Alpha (I don't use it but the people who do seem to love
>it).  I'm just asking - why change editors?

>Vicki Brown, vlb@apple.com  <> Journeyman Sourcerer: Scripts & Philtres
>..Toolsmith, Firewarden, Web Gardener, Stagehand, *nixophiliac, JAPH...
>Apple Computer: Rhapsody Core OS <> MkLinux: http://www.mklinux.apple.com
>      	            ___   UNIX is user-friendly   ___
>   (It just isn't promiscuous about which users it is friendly with)

Rich Goldman
rich@cgninteractive.com