[MacPerl] first file in a folder...

I'm trying to write a script that will:

1) every 12 hours: select the first file in a folder (Mac 68K OS
   ideally)... I have Mac-Cron installed... and...

2) dialup my ISP and upload the file to several FTP sites (I have
   Microphone-comm-software scripts that can dialup -- I can't seem to
   make them select a specific file though...) (I have MacPerl installed.)

3) then, either delete or move this first file from the folder, so that
   the next numerically-named file will become the next 'first-one'

4) and so on...

Any suggestions appreciated!!!