Re: [MacPerl] MacPERL Performace vs. Intel Class systems (fwd)

At 14.51 10/14/97, Mark Manning/Muniz Eng. wrote:
>According to Bart Lateur:

>> I think this one only proves you have a large disk cache.
>
>Does that not, then, prove that the other test was done
>using a much smaller disk cache?  And would that not make
>the other test just as incorrect as this one?
>
>Maybe the answer here is to decide upon a given disk cache
>size before attempting any kind of a test.

That's not necessary.  The main point of the speed tests is not to compare machines, but to compare versions of (Mac)Perl.  So I run 5.1.3r2 and 5.1.4r4 on the same machine, one right after the other, and the results are fairly conclusive.  Just use the same configuration for all tests on the same machine.  Of course, it depends on the purpose of the test.  But if you are doing MACHINE benchmarking, you need to give complete info anyway (RAM, bus speed, SCSI bus, software config, etc.) to consider the tests really reliable.  But we do not want to bother.

>An 8k disk
>cache would throttle any system

Especially when the minimum is up around 100K ... :-)

--
Chris Nandor             pudge@pobox.com             http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])