Re: [MacPerl] Fileloop et al.

At 3:37 pm +0100 28.10.97, Chris Nandor wrote:
>If you are talking about the name of the current script file, that is
>stored in
>the special variable $0.

Out of curiosity, is there any consensus on whether the script file
contains the name of the script, or the pathname? I have the impression
that this varies from platform to platform, and the Camel is silent on the
matter.

My reason for asking is that my scripts frequently need to read
configuration files stored in the same directory as the script. Simply
giving the filename rather than a complete pathname seems to produce
results that vary dramatically from system to system. If $0 could be
guaranteed to return the full path to the script, it could provide a useful
way to identify the correct configuration file.

Put even more simply, is there a portable and reliable way to find the path
to a running script or to the folder that contains it?

angus@pobox.com                                   http://pobox.com/~angus/

 "My loathings are simple: stupidity,            [Vladimir Nabokov]
  oppression, crime, cruelty, soft music."