[MacPerl] Re: [Pudge's Pad] whichMacPerl

Someone wrote to me asking about whichMacPerl and CFM-68K and Mac OS 8.
Here is some relevant info you all might want.

>You're running on a Motorola 680x0-based Mac OS system.
>
>Checking the versions of some system files:
>  File                         Version Needed  Version Present
>  ---------------------------  --------------  ---------------
>  CFM-68K Runtime Enabler                 4.0
>  ObjectSupportLib                        1.2              1.2
>  AppleScriptLib                        1.2.2            1.2.2
>
>I recommend installing the regular MacPerl distribution
>and then the BigMacPerl distribution.
>
>Alternatively, follow the above upgrade tips and install
>the CFM-68K distribution instead of the BigMacPerl distribution.
>
>Hit the <RETURN> or <ENTER> key to quit.

> Your program does not notice that I am running System 8.  But that may
> be a critical oversight on its part, since I understand that CFM-68K
> distribution is not needed because that functionality is included in the
> OS with System 8.

The CFM-68K Runtime Enabler still must be in your Extensions Folder.

>   If I'm wrong, then please let me know and give me a reference to back
> up your claim.

Well, you can try running the CFM-68K version yourself ... besides,
Matthias Neeracher just told me so (the guy who wrote MacPerl).

> I have already downloaded Mac_Perl_515r4_appl and
> Mac_Perl_515r4_appl_cfm68K installers.  What more do I need?

That is it.

> And should
> I even install the cfm68k?  What is the advantage of doing so under
> System 8, provided that it works?

OK.  Just runnning the regular MacPerl distribution on your 68K machine
will not provide you with all of the MacPerl modules/extensions.
Installing BigMacPerl will give you those modules/extensions, as they are
linked instatically.  However, if you install the CFM-68K version (and your
system supports it), then you can add in *any* MacPerl extensions you want;
CFM-68K loads them in dynamically as needed.

So if someone says, "I wrote this new version of this extension," if you
have the CFM version you can install it and use it.  If you have the
BigMacPerl version, you cannot.

--
Chris Nandor               pudge@pobox.com           http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])