[MacPerl] Net::Telnet and "\n = \r"

I recently downloaded Net::Telnet from CPAN.  It failed to work on the mac
because of MacPerl's "\n = \r" feature.  I was able to get it working after
making a few '\n' -> '\x0a' substitutions, but the experience brought up
some questions:

(1) Has someone already ported Net:Telnet to MacPerl?

(2) If so, where can this (and other similar ports of '\n'-sensitive
modules) be found?

(3) Is there a general procedure (perhaps a perl script) for doing these
sorts of ports?  Replacing _every_ '\n' by '\x0a' isn't usually the right
answer.

Kevin Walker