Re: [MacPerl] junk email

First of all, NEVER COMPLAIN TO THE MAILING LIST ABOUT SPAM!

Xah Lee <xah@best.com> writes:
>Why is this list getting junk email? I thought this is a private email list
>with some precaution against spamers. (when I signed on, there's confirmation)

This confirmation targets another kind of network abuse: Sometimes people get
subscribed to hundreds of mailing lists against their will, and the
confirmation mail mechanism is designed to prevent that.

The spam precautions on this list are limited to a number of regular
expressions applied to the header (for instance, all of the "happy birthday"
messages were hand-approved by me, as "happy" is a frequent subject word in
spams), which catches about 50% of all intended spam. In this case, none of
the regexps matched, so the spam was not stopped [Send letter of complaint to
postmaster@xxx.co.kr and postmaster@devry.edu, if you want].

Contrary to popular belief, it is *not* practicable check mailing list
submissions against lists of subscribers, as even legitimate addresses have too
much variation in practice.

Matthias

-----
   "One fine day in my odd past..." -- Pixies, _Planet of Sound_