Re: [MacPerl] Perl module installation

At 12:52 pm -0500 12/19/97, Chris Nandor wrote:
>At 11.05 12/19/97, Gennady Stupakov wrote:
>>Hi all,
>>I am not a professional programmer and relatively new to MacPerl. I found out
>>that some of the modules that I can get from the net have istallation
>>instructions
>>that include commands like those:
>>
>>    perl Makefile.PL ...
>>    make
>>    make test
>>    make install
>>
>>I understand that these commands are for the Unix users, and I am wondering
>>if they
>>work on the Mac? Do I need a C-compiler to run them (I don't have it)? How
>>do I install a Unix module
>>into MacPerl in general? My searches of FAQ and  mail archives did not give
>>me the answer
>>to these questions.
>
>All the answers to your questions should be answered in the Extensibility
>and Re-use chapter of the book I am working on.  The chapter is available
>to all to download for review at:
>
>        http://www.ptf.com/macperl/
>
>Thanks, and as always, we appreciate feedback on what you read.  :)

I read the chapter on extensibility and although it is a valuable source of
information about installing additional perl modules it does not address
the issue of what is needed to actually build a module that relies on a C
library. Can anyone offer any advice on how would one go about building a
module that did require a C compiler to build?

My particular interest here is in building DBI and a DBD driver for say
PostgreSQL or mySQL.

Doug

    ____/  _   /  /  J. Douglas Dunlop                  <dunlop@eol.ists.ca>
   /      /   /  /                                    Earth Observations Lab
   _/    /   /  /                Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science
 /      /   /  /                                    4850 Keele St.,2nd Floor
____/ _____/ _____/  W:416-665-5411                      North York, Ontario
                     H:519-747-1710                          CANADA, M3J-3K1
                     F:416-665-2032