Re: [MacPerl] Perl module installation

At 10:44 pm -0500 12/19/97, Chris Nandor wrote:
>At 22.35 12/19/97, J. Douglas Dunlop wrote:
>>I read the chapter on extensibility and although it is a valuable source of
>>information about installing additional perl modules it does not address
>>the issue of what is needed to actually build a module that relies on a C
>>library.
>
>Well, it kindof does, actually.  It says that you should probably forget
>about it.  :)

Not :), should be :(

>>Can anyone offer any advice on how would one go about building a
>>module that did require a C compiler to build?
>
>As to compiling extensions, I have built MacPerl from the sources and part
>of my blood pact with Matthias after that long day is that I will write up
>a summary of how to do it.  This will include a bit on how to compile
>extensions.  It will be coming sometime in the next weeks.

Ok, I look forward to reading it. Not to be too cheap about it, but given
that MPW/MrC is now freely available from Apple it would be real nice to
see a writeup that gave a decription for that development enviroment. From
what I have read on this list Matthias uses MetroWerks and even a
description for building modules in that enviroment would be very helpful.

>As to DBI/DBD, you will need a client library ported to Mac OS first.
>Someone mentioned that might take on portions of the DBI project; this is
>something that people might want to get together on.

If you have any more information regarding DBI/DBD for the Mac please pass
it along.

    ____/  _   /  /  J. Douglas Dunlop                  <dunlop@eol.ists.ca>
   /      /   /  /                                    Earth Observations Lab
   _/    /   /  /                Institute for Space and Terrestrial Science
 /      /   /  /                                    4850 Keele St.,2nd Floor
____/ _____/ _____/  W:416-665-5411                      North York, Ontario
                     H:519-747-1710                          CANADA, M3J-3K1
                     F:416-665-2032