[MacPerl] Re:

--- begin quoted text

I am new to Perl and new to the Mac; a dangerous combination.
I'm having trouble opening a file for reading. I say

open(INFILE,'array:javed14.pl') or die "Can't open input. t";

where javed14.pl is a file in a folder called array. The folder is on the
desktop of my powerbook 5300c. I get the can't open message. Is there some
better way of specifying where the file is? I'd greatly appreciate help.

Thanks,

Rich Simon

--- end quoted text

The path to the desktop is "Volume Name:Desktop Folder", where "Volume
Name" is whatever you call the disk the file is on. For me it's "Macintosh
HD" on my Powerbook So the full path to your file would be "Volume
Name:Desktop Folder:array:javed14.pl". Alternatively, you could
chdir("Volume Name:Desktop Folder:) and then the path vould be a relative
path: ":array:javed14.pl".
Mac absolute paths, equavalent to paths that start with / on Unix, always
start with the name of the volume. Mac relative paths always (*) start
with :.

(*) With one exception, but since : always works, you should forget that
there is an exception.

-------
Paul J. Schinder
NASA Goddard Space Flight Center