Re: [MacPerl] Q: use MacPerl

At 23.10 12/24/97, Xah Lee wrote:
>I ran the following
>
>#!perl -w
>
>use strict;
>use MacPerl;
>
>my ($aa) = MakeFSSpec('APS600:T2:Perl files:unix learning notes');
>
>print $aa;

>Could anyone explain? It doesn't appear that I've screwed up my MacPerl.
>(I'm trying to learn package scheme)

Do not C<use MacPerl> for this.  MakeFSSpec has nothing to do with it.  See
help under MacPerl specifics or see The MacPerl Package review chapter
online for my book (though yes, these errors should not be occuring
regardless).

Ah, I see you have already looked at that chapter ... what you want is
C<package MacPerl>, not C<use MacPerl>.  The MacPerl package (where
MakeFSSpec is located) is built in to MacPerl, while C<use MacPerl> invokes
the MacPerl.pm module, which you do not need for these situations.

Anyway, if you comment out the line C<bootstrap MacPerl;> in MacPerl.pm,
the errors will go away and the module will still work (though you have no
need for it in this situation).  Correct me if I am wrong (Matthias), but I
see no need for it, and it tries to redefine $MacPerl::Version apparently,
which is read-only, so compilation files.

--
Chris Nandor               pudge@pobox.com           http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])