[MacPerl] Problem with record separator?

I'm having a strange problem reading in a file.

I read in the file, and the whole thing gets stuffed into $_ as one line.

Ok, no problem, says I.  The record separator is just wrong since I'm on a
Mac.  I check the file out with a hex editor, and find 0x0A is what's
separating the lines.

So, before opening the file, I do:

$/="0x0A";

And.....I get the whole file in one line again.

Can anyone give me a clue as to why this might be happening?  The version
of MacPerl is 5.1.4r4 (I'm upgrading to 5.1.9r4 as I type this).

Wade
Wade Williams                      "Put your message in a modem, and throw
Systems Engineer, CCIE #3373        it in the cyber sea."
Cisco Systems, Inc.                       - N. Peart
Brentwood, TN
615-221-2918
wwilliam@cisco.com