[MacPerl] User Authentication- Perl DB

HI all,

I am trying to build a user-authentication setup via PERL, as opposed to
using WebSTAR realms, etc. One of the reasons I would like to do this is so
that it can be updated easily by a client's database output.

Essentially I would like to be able to get a tab delimited user file from
the client. Next, I would then merge the current user list and add any news
users and delete users that are not in the current list.

I am thinking of using crypt to encode the passwords, and enter a randomly
generated password for the new users, then emailing this password to an
admin account. I would also like to be able to add in an expiration date.
So that if the expiration date passes the user is automatically locked out.

This doesn't have to be the most secure system in the world, but it needs
to be decent.

I guess my biggest quesiton is the ability to prompt for authentication via
perl and saving that information so that a user is not authenticated for
every page.

I realize this is not neccesarily a MAC Perl question, but at least it is a
perl question. Any leads on how to do this would be appreciated.

Wes

|  Weston Houghton                                     \_        _/   _/  |
|  AnaPraxis R+D                                        \_      _/____/   |
|  http://www.anapraxis.com/                             \_ \_ _/   _/    |
|  whoughton@anapraxis.com                                \_ \_/   _/     |