Re: [MacPerl] Macperl and Alpha 7.0

It seems I am still being to obtuse.  I am sorry for the lack of detail.
I was writing from my sun workstation from work, I had to wait until I
got home to post a more detailed description of my setup.

>>Tom,
>>
>>Thank you for your response.  I will try to post a more detailed
>>description of the problem.
>>

>>The path on my machine is:
>>MacintoshHD:Programming:Alpha f:   # for alpha 6.5.2
>>MacintoshHD:Programming:Alpha 7.0:   # for alpha 7.0
>>
>This is fine.
>
>>I originally had only 7.0 as Alpha f, however, I have reinstalled 6.5.2
>>to use until I can figure out what I need to do to configure the new
>>version properly.
>>
>>With 6.5.2 I was able to use perl mode without having to change the
>>setup or preferences.  When I first noticed that I could not use perl
>>mode I deleted 7.0 and reinstalled it.  reinstalling it did not help.
>>Alpha does not recognize  .pl files to be perl files either.  This is
>>true for Java, and a number of other languages.  When I open a .pl file
>>alpha set the default to text, and when I try and change that I am only
>>offered four or five options none of which is perl.  There is no problem
>>with c++.
>>
>>I then checked the modes:tcl dir.  I compared the dir with 6.5.2 and
>>noticed that the setup was different.  Perl and a number of other
>>options had their own directories with their own index files.
>
>By the above you mean the Perl files where in the dir:
>MacintoshHD:Programming:Alpha 7.0:Tcl:Modes:Perl
>,correct? That is correct for 7.0 also.

I keep my scripts separate from my text editor.  path ->
:Programming:MacPerl f:

>>                    =8AThe main
>>index file does not contain perl, java, or any of the other missing
>>options.  I tried to append what was in the perl index file to the main
>>dir's index file.  That did not help either.  I have reverted the files
>>to their original format.  The help files which came with 7.0 are of no
>>help either.
>
>By index files do you mean the TclIndexx files? These log the location of
>each proc for each tcl file in the enclosing directory. The "unknown" proc
>makes use of these to locate and load any proc the Tcl interpreter
>encounters that is not currently loaded. Each such file only refers to the
>enclosing directory and is searched by unknown.

Sorry I meant the tclIndexx file
in the path tcl:modes:perl: there are the following scripts.
perl4.tcl
perl5.tcl
perlMode.tcl
tclIndexx

I noticed that in 6.5.2 there are no sub directories in the modes folder.
 All of the files are listed together.  With 7.0 there are three folders,
one of which is perl.

>>Is this making any sense?  Should 7.0 be like 6.5.2, where one does not
>>have to edit .tcl files to activate perlMode.
>Yes, that is correct.
>
>>                                            If I need to modify .tcl
>>files could someone provide me with more detail on how it is done.  I
>>have re-downloaded 7.0 and installed it to no avail.  I am sure that my
>>problem is something small, which I have been over looking.
>>

>Where did you download 7.0 from, Pete's site or Vince's? Vince had a
>stripped down version that did not include all the modes as they now can be
>loaded indivually in a simple manner.

I first had a stripped down version, but I downloaded what I thought was
the complete release from Pete's site.  Although I would be hard pressed
to tell if I had a complete version.  I will say however there are quite
a few more files in the modes dir.  When you say that the modes can be
loaded individually, what do you mean by this?

Here is a brief run down of what happens when I open a perl script.  ( I
have no problem with a c++ file, however, I do not get the metrowerks
menu in 7.0 either)  A new buffer is opened with the scipt minus any
contextual coloring.  The default for the popup window in the lower right
is text.  There is no perl to be found in the menu.  The menu only
contains: Brws, C, C++, Inst, Mail, MPW, PS, Shel, Tcl, Text.  My version
of 6.5.2 contains: Ada, Bib, Brws, C, C++, Diff, Fort, HTML, Java, Mail,
MPW, Pasc, Perl, PS, Scm, Scrp, Setx, Shel, SQL, Tcl, TeX, Text.  I seem
to be missing a few options.

I do not know if this is of any help or not, but.  6.5.2 uses 19.2MB of
disk space for 399 items, 7.0 is 17.1 for 372 items.  This may not mean
much, but maybe I am missing something.  If this is the case where can I
get a complete version with all of the modes included?

I hope that this is a little clearer.

Thank you for your time.  Sorry to use so much bandwidth.

-Joshua