Re: [MacPerl] OSACompile() bug in MPW perl tool too?

jasonj@mpx.com.au (Jason Johnston) writes:
>Recently I posted a question on the
>comp.sys.mac.programer.(help|codewarrior) newsgroups, and when I didn't get
>an answer, I sighed to myself: what a pity this problem has nothing to do
>with MacPerl, so that I can't ask the highly competent and helpful folk
>there.

Hehe. In fact, I had seen your posting and was determined to answer it as soon
as I got around to it.

>Then I decided to go back for the moment to using the MacPerl MPW tool to
>the job my own program was (temporarily, I hoped) unable to do, and lo and
>behold I find that the MacPerl tool fails in exactly the same circumstances
>as my program does! So suddenly it's a legitimate MacPerl question!

Yup, by tying your problem to MacPerl, you've sort of forced my hand :-)

>[MPW Perl crashes when being run twice with nontrivial AppleScripts]

Yes, this is a long running problem. I saw the best MPW programmers of my
generation destroyed by madness over this bug, starving hysterical naked,
dragging themselves through 1 Infinite Loop at dawn looking for an angry fix.

We probably should bring this up on the MPW Developers mailing list
(See http://www.lists.apple.com/mpw-dev.html for details). That list is
full of current and past MPW maintainers, and their collective wisdom should
at least be able to assess whether it is possible to fix this in either MPW
or in a workaround in our code.

Do you want to subscribe to the list, or should I bring it up?

Matthias

-----
   "I'm set free to find a new illusion" -- Velvet Underground