Re: [MacPerl] I'm back! :-)

At 14.22 1998.02.24, Strider wrote:
>Although,
>I suppose, if Netscape had builtin PERL (without file saving abilities) it
>could be used for forms and the like.

This is basically the idea; to embed Perl in Netscape 5.0 when the source
is released.  I imagine the security model will be based on Penguin, which
works fine under MacPerl in my tests, aside from the \n problems which are
pervasive throughout the module.  It would have to be patched up to fix
those problems.

Regardless, I can envision a time in the not-too-distant future where we
will see:

<P>Welcome to my home page.  A random link for you:

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="perl">
%links = (
  a => 'a.html',
  b => 'b.html',
  c => 'c.html'
);
@links = sort keys %links;
$x = int rand(scalar @links);
print qq'<A HREF="$links{$links[$x]}">$links[$x]</A><P>';
</SCRIPT>

Now, the Safe module can be finely tuned for a host to allow only code from
specific people (authenticated via PGP), and only specific operations.  You
can say that you won't allow any I/O at all, or whatever.  You can make it
as safe or dangerous as you want.

Of course, the Safe module has not been tested nearly as much as the rest
of Perl.  Oh well.

I think that this will be done on Unix versions of Netscape. I'd like to
see it on Mac versions, too.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey=('B76E72AD',[1024,'0824 090B CE73 CA10  1FF7 7F13 8180 B6B6'])