Re: [MacPerl] I'm back! :-)

markem@flash.net, mac-perl@iis.ee.ethz.ch
Subj:	Re: [MacPerl] I'm back!  :-)

Mark Manning wrote:

>Hey everyone.  Got lost in the bit stream.  :-)
>
>I've been working in JavaScript for a while now and I have a riddle:
>
>Q:What's the difference between MacPerl and JavaScript?
>
>A:MacPerl works like it's supposed to.  :-)
>
>Actually though, I have a question.  I can generate JavaScript from
>MacPerl and I know I can generate MacPerl from JavaScript.  But can I
>execute the MacPerl (or maybe I should say Perl but I've been trying
>this on the Mac) to execute on the client's machine?  And, if I sent the
>Perl code back to my machine is there some way to secure the code so
>when it executes on my machine I'm not getting whacked by some hacker?
>
>Thanks in advance.  :-)

There was some work by Stan Melax a long while ago that added a perl
plugin to the Netscape browser - but that was back in the days when
Netscape published their broswer API specs.  Now that Netscape has
announced that they will be giving not only the browser but the source
code away it would seem quite likely that something perlian will crop
up there - eventually.

Another means for doing client side execution of perl is via the
Penguin module - which in turn requires that you have Safe.pm, and PGP.pm
modules.  Penguin relies on PGP for implementation of its security
hence requires the full public key trust setup that that entails.  I
understand there are a number of ports of PGP to the Mac.  I also
recall Felix Gallo's (author of Penguin.pm) frustration with the
Mac end of line issue when it came to socket communications - hence it
was made to work there at one time.  I think Bill Middleton had Mac
Penguin clients working against a Penguin daemon running on Solaris.
That was more than a year ago though.

Peter Prymmer