Re: [MacPerl] I'm back! :-)

Paul J. Schinder (schinder@pobox.com) wrote:

>>Q:What's the difference between MacPerl and JavaScript?
>>
>>A:MacPerl works like it's supposed to.  :-)
>
>Wow, that's exactly the difference between Perl and Applescript!

Hahaha!  How true!

I've often wondered what could have been had Apple, instead of
trying mightily to shoe-horn in every possible natural-language
way of expressing a construct (eg, "the first word" eq "1st word"
eq "word 1", "without saving" eq "saving false" eq "dontSave"),
simply chosen a nice, proven scripting language (Perl, of course)
and devoted themselves to the definition of IAC infrastructure,
objects, and encouraging software developers to provide working object
sets.  But no, they set the bar really really high, then failed
to cross it.  Most of my major applications are half-scriptable,
with many objects and object interactions badly debugged and quite
unreliable.  Bummer!