[MacPerl] PC file names

According to Douglas A. Spore:

> I need to ftp from my Mac, to a unix box files from a PC formatted disk.
> The Mac's are the only machines with a 3.5 disk drive that are on the
> network. The USAF removed all the PC's after having to many problems with
> them.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

1. Use mcopy if it is available on the Unix machines and
the Unix machine has a 3.5" disk drive in it.

2. Create a folder on your Mac, if the Mac has System 7.5
or later you probably also have PC Exchange.  This means
you can drag n'drop the files to the Mac folder.  Then use
Fetch to move the files over to the PC via the network.

3. Talk to whoever took the PCs out and ask for the
temporary usage of one of them.  Hook it back up, transfer
the files, and then give it back.  Or better yet - convert
it over to Linux.  Linux gives you mcopy, mdir, etc....
which allows you to read and write PC diskettes.

Also, this really isn't a MacPerl question but more of a
general question which would be better placed into the
comp.sys.mac.misc area.  :-)