Re: [MacPerl] I'm back! :-)

On Tue, 24 Feb 1998 12:40:33 -0600, Mark Manning/Simulacron I wrote:

>Hey everyone.  Got lost in the bit stream.  :-)
>
>I've been working in JavaScript for a while now and I have a riddle:
>
>Q:What's the difference between MacPerl and JavaScript?
>
>A:MacPerl works like it's supposed to.  :-)

Wow, that's exactly the difference between Perl and Applescript!

>Actually though, I have a question.  I can generate JavaScript from
>MacPerl and I know I can generate MacPerl from JavaScript.  But can I
>execute the MacPerl (or maybe I should say Perl but I've been trying
>this on the Mac) to execute on the client's machine?  And, if I sent the
>Perl code back to my machine is there some way to secure the code so
>when it executes on my machine I'm not getting whacked by some hacker?

Not on my machines you can't. Not ever. I'd be a fool to let you do it.
Perl is too powerful.

Heck, I don't even let you run Javascript.

Or are you talking about something other than embedding Perl in a Web
page?

------

>All e-mail needs to be sent to mark@cheers.jsc.nasa.gov.  If you don't,
>it will
>probably bounce.  What man does not understand or fears; he ultimately
>destroys.
>Steve Wright: Black holes are where God divided by zero.

-------
Paul J. Schinder
schinder@pobox.com