Re: [MacPerl] rcp using MacPerl?

>1. RCP is not in use with many sites because of the security violations
>it causes.  RCP was found out to have to run under root and this led to
>problems.  Which is why the sysadmin of your system probably has it
>turned off for you.

RCP is *not* turned off. They specifically allow rcp. It is FTP that doesn't allow spaces. RCP works fine from another Unix computer to their site; all I want to do is do RCP from my Macintosh to their site. I don't want to run any extra software on the remote computer, I just want to add rcp functionality to my Mac (or find some other way of transferring files so that the filenames look good to humans).

>Now my question is - why not make your filenames use underscores between
>the words?  Looks the same as with spaces if you are using HREF because
>on most systems the underscore and the underline are the same.  IE v4 I
>believe correctly makes a double line when dealing with underscore
>versus underline.  But NS has always had a single line under the text.
>
>So_you_can_have_filenames_which_are_very_long_like_this.

Nope: I have thousands of files; I let Apache (as I said in the message) make up the directory listings. So if I put underscores in the filenames, they will show up with underscores, which is not very good for humans to read.

Remember that underlines on links is an option that can be (and is often) turned off.

Jerry

jerry@acusd.edu                                           http://www.acusd.edu/~jerry/
"It's too bad we don't have a can to listen to to get back to San Diego," said Voniece. "What do we make in San Diego, anyway?"
"Tourists, I think," said Arthur. He brightened. "Do they sell tourists in cans?"
"I think they do," said Voniece, "but they're awfully expensive."
--The Shopping Cart Graveyard