Re: [MacPerl] rcp using MacPerl?

Hmmmmm..... well, I think this is really getting off the MacPerl topic
and thus this will be my last message.  If you want to talk some more
I'd be more than willing to talk via e-mail about this.  :-)

Jerry Stratton wrote:

> RCP is *not* turned off. They specifically allow rcp. It is FTP that doesn't allow spaces. RCP works fine
Well, maybe you should mention to them the security violations which
have been posted to various sites.  I think Purdue (or is it Princeton?)
has a site set up which deals with security issues.  RCP was in there
the last time I looked.  It's also why we've disabled it here where I
work.  :-)

> Nope: I have thousands of files; I let Apache (as I said in the message) make up the directory listings. So if I put underscores in the filenames, they will show up with underscores, which is not very good for humans to read.
>
> Remember that underlines on links is an option that can be (and is often) turned off.

Well, as others have pointed out, If you are passing the filenames
through a Perl program (or rather - a MacPerl program - right?) then it
is a simple matter to change all white spaces to underscores.  I think
Paul showed an example which only deals with spaces.  You can make it a
lot more generic by doing this:

	$myVar =~ s/\s/_/g;

Remember also that the name of the file makes no difference in what is
to be shown between the <a href> command and the </a>.  It could be like
this:

example</a>

So your filenames can have underscores in them or not.  In HTML it
doesn't matter.  So if you are serving web pages, just write a script
which shows the files how you want them to be seen, but point the links
to the actual filenames.  Nobody really cares what the filenames are so
long as they get their information.