Re: [MacPerl] rcp using MacPerl?

On Thu, 26 Feb 1998 16:47:05 -0800, Jerry Stratton wrote:

>RCP is *not* turned off. They specifically allow rcp. It is FTP that
doesn't allow spaces. RCP works fine from another Unix computer to their
site; all I want to do is do RCP from my Macintosh to their site. I don't
want to run any extra software on the remote computer, I just want to add
rcp functionality to my Mac (or find some other way of transferring files
so that the filenames look good to humans).

First, are you absolutely sure that the FTP server doesn't accept spaces
in filenames? You've tried putting quotes around the names when you sent
the file so that the server got to see them ($fiIe = '"name with
spaces"')? Can you rename to a name with spaces after it gets there? This
is a damned stupid restriction, especially if you already have write
access to the directories in question from the command line.

Second, rcp is a protocol that must be defined somewhere. If you can't
find something to do rcp at CPAN, go to InterNIC and see if there's an
RFC. If not, any Linux archive is likely to have source for an rcp client.
Translating into Perl should not be that difficult.

>Nope: I have thousands of files; I let Apache (as I said in the message)
make up the directory listings. So if I put underscores in the filenames,
they will show up with underscores, which is not very good for humans to
read.

This is just silly. Humans are perfectly capable of reading filenames with
_. Humans invented _. And one file or one million, it's ($newname =
$oldname) =~ s/\s/_/g. If you can't solve the problem any other way,
this is a reasonable way to solve it.

>Remember that underlines on links is an option that can be (and is often)
turned off.

>Jerry
>
>jerry@acusd.edu http://www.acusd.edu/~jerry/
>"It's too bad we don't have a can to listen to to get back to San Diego,"
said Voniece. "What do we make in San Diego, anyway?"
>"Tourists, I think," said Arthur. He brightened. "Do they sell tourists
in cans?"
>"I think they do," said Voniece, "but they're awfully expensive."
>--The Shopping Cart Graveyard

-------
Paul J. Schinder
schinder@pobox.com