Re: [MacPerl] error: <FILE> chunk 827

At 15:27 -0700 26.4.98, Xah Lee wrote:

> I very often encounter this error when processing a file:
>
> # Use of uninitialized value, <WEBLOG> chunk 1891.
>
> when the -w switch is on. I thought it is caused by pathological
> lines in the file that didn't meet expectations, and caused $line to
> be uninitialized, but this speculation does not seems correct.

The times that I've seen such error messages, they've not been spurious
but indeed correct. (Odds are that WEBLOG is a filehandle and that it
has become invalid.) In these instances, a bit of explicit
error-checking and -handling has always fixed it for me.

Blaming -w is shooting the messenger; I've yet to encounter a situation
where it hasn't behaved correctly.

Stephan