Re: [MacPerl] Timeout script

I realize that I am responding to something from way back when, but I
just got back from Florida and saw this.

This can be achieved in a number of ways.  First through a MacPerl
script which would not allow the person to continue doing things at your
site after a given time period.  As Brian pointed out though, this would
not be a PRO-active solution but instead would be a RE-active solution.
This is because MacPerl (or Perl in general) would not be called into
play until the next time the user attempted to access your site.

A PRO-active solution would be to switch to JavaScript which works in
both Netscape Navigator as well as Internet Explorer.  What you would do
is to create a timer in JavaScript which checks to see how long the
person has been viewing a screen and, after a given time period, does
something.

Using both JavaScript and Perl, you can make it so a person can not keep
a screen up indefinitely as well as to remove a screen from in front of
a person whenever you want.

I hope this helps.  :-)