Re: [MacPerl] Timeout script

John W Baxter wrote:

> What happens to/for those of us who run with JavaScript disabled (Java
> also, but that's moot here)?  Either the timer doesn't work or I can't
> visit.  If I can't visit...that's fine:  I make a quick decision whether
> the site seems worth activating JavaScript and deactivating it later.

Not really.  There is a third method which can be done which just uses
HTML.
I didn't think of it until after I'd written.  The re-direction META tag
can also, after a timed wait, redirect the person to another page.

As for JavaScript being disabled - that is a personal decision.
JavaScript
is NOT Java.  The two have nothing in common other than Netscape's
stupid
decision to call LiveScript - JavaScript instead.  (Since everyone was
going
bonkers over the word "Java".)  Unlike Java, JavaScript can not talk to
your
hard drive, muck around with anything on your system, etc....  Java
though,
can do such things.  So if you work someplace that requires both to be
disabled
you should try to explain to them that the only thing JavaScript and
Java have
in common - is the word Java.  Heck, throw in that Java is written by
Sun
Microsystems and JavaScript is written by Netscape and Microsoft and
maybe
they will go "Oh, I see".

Ummmmmmmm on your line which reads "Either the timer doesn't work..." I
don't
understand what you mean.  The original posting was that _after_ three
minutes
of usage the page would no longer work.  I'm assuming that the person
would,
at least, put up a message which would let the user know that the page
will no
longer work after three minutes.  It would be a bit silly to not say
so.  At least
it would irritate me quite a bit to have a site no longer work without
telling
me about it.  This is where the Perl (or MacPerl) side of it would come
into play.
Once the time limit is reached, the MacPerl program would then be able
to send back
the "You have exceeded the three minute limit" message fairly easily.
:-)