Re: PDF version Was: [MacPerl] AE Catcher?

At 7:39 PM +0100 5/13/98, Matthew S. Wickline wrote:
>I've already downloaded the complete book, and will be
>ording one next month when $$ permit. While your current
>on-line form doesn't make for the most convenient
>downloading, it isn't impossible.

Sure, but the relative difficulty is an incovenience for many, which is good.

>I've now got it all in a local format which I *could* ship
>off to others were I a meanie... but I'm not.

And were someone to do that, it would be illegal.

>Similarly, I
>don't doubt that your book could be scanned in by some
>warez'ing younster with too much time to waste, and turned
>into PDF.

Again, illegal.  If we decide not to provide it in easily downloadable,
distributable form, that does not mean someone else could not do so
illegally.  The same is true of any and every book.  'Tis not an argument
that we should do it ourselves.

>My thought would be that if you're in it primarily for the
>$$, you never should have put the on-line version up (and
>should remove it soon).

That is not the case; if people can read it online, they are probably more
likely to buy it if the like it (I gather that from the feedback we've
gotten thus far).

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
MacPerl: Power and Ease (ISBN 1881957322), http://www.ptf.com/macperl/