Re: PDF version Was: [MacPerl] AE Catcher?

Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com> (5/13/98):
> All of this begs the question, of course, of whether it is
> in our best interest to make the PDF freely available,
> package up the HTML for easy downloading, etc.  Vicki,
> Chris, and I continue to debate this; input is always
> useful...

my opinion:

If you've gone far enough to put the HTML on-line, you
should just go ahead and make it available in other formats
at your convenience (or minimally include those formats on
the CD if not on the web).

I've already downloaded the complete book, and will be
ording one next month when $$ permit. While your current
on-line form doesn't make for the most convenient
downloading, it isn't impossible.

I've now got it all in a local format which I *could* ship
off to others were I a meanie... but I'm not. Similarly, I
don't doubt that your book could be scanned in by some
warez'ing younster with too much time to waste, and turned
into PDF.

My thought would be that if you're in it primarily for the
$$, you never should have put the on-line version up (and
should remove it soon). If you're in it primarily to help
the community, then make the entire things available, both
book and cd (if licensing permits) via ftp, and additionally
sell it for those who would rather hold onto the book and
have more ready access to the files. (think Linux)

Since you've got multiple folks involved with differing
interests/priorities/budgets, you've probably been going
over these same ideas yourselves, and haven't yet made up
your collective mind :)  ...but you did ask for input :)

-matt