[MacPerl] can't open file with strange characters

I am saving some web documents as "source" from Netscape and running
them through a macperl script that I have.

Some of the documents return a "cannot open" error.

I notice, when I open these documents with simple text, that they have
square-boxe characters in place of where the line breaks should be.

Can anyone explain what the square boxes are doing there and what I need
to do to be able to open the files with macperl?

Thanks,
Michael Stearns