Re: [MacPerl] File reading ?'s

At 5:46 PM +0000 6/11/98, Jeremy Lee wrote:

} on 6/11/98 12:01 AM , Paul J. Schinder  wrote:
}
} Does this split it into Characters, numbers, Hex, or what?  Actually, I

Whatever you'd like.  Read the documentation for pack (unpack's inverse),
where the template codes are defined.

} think that I could do a read for the first 8 bytes.  Included in this
} info is the size of the header.  Then do another read to get the rest of
} the header.  Then I could split it as necessary...  Can you do multiple
} characters in an unpack situation?  One of the variables (the sound
} format) is a 4byte string.

Yep, no problem.

[snip]
}
} I d/l'd a lot of the MPPE book, and it has some good stuff in it.  If I
} had known about it before, I would definitely gone for it over the
} "Dummies" book.  But it still doesn't talk about the Toolbox calls at all
} (or not enough).  It still refers you to the Inside Mac books...

When you see Inside Macintosh, you'll realize there's no way that they can
be condensed into a small book.  If you're not comfortable with the Camel,
you're *really* not going to be happy with any part of Inside Macintosh...

}
} >Buying the Camel is easier, although at
} >this point it is a little out of date.
}
} How out of date is it?  Are there supplements to it?  It doesn't seem
} very definitive if it is not all-inclusive.

It's mildly out of date, because Perl has gone through one or two revisions
since the second edition of the book was published.  You won't be misled by
anything in it, but there is at least one important omission (no mention of
the very important IO::* modules) that I know of.  If you look under
MacPerl's Help menu at "Various" -> "News for 5.004", you'll get an idea of
what has changed since the book was written.

}
} Thanks everyone for the leads...
}
} Jeremy
}
} Jeremy Lee                     |   Owner-
} Sound Designer/Technician      |   Madrone Ridge Sound Design
} Oregon Shakespeare Festival    |   Sound for Multimedia
}                                |
}                  http://www.ashland.net/madrone
} "Is it not strange that sheeps' guts should hale souls out of men's
} bodies?"
}         -  Wm. Shakespeare
}
} "The mime sang:"  - Alfred Jarry