Re: [MacPerl] We're all Macperlers on this bus...

At 23:14 +0200 98/06/15, Matthias Ulrich Neeracher wrote:
> First of all, I could see advantages in a reorganization/broadening of the
> scope of some of the lists, especially if this is combined with offering
> digests of the discussion lists. However, I'm not overly enthusiastic
> about simply creating a parallel list.

Neither am I, if it comes to that.

I'd be happiesty with enhancing and broadening the current MacPerl list
offerings to a place where most of us can feel comfortable.  The worriesome
part about a parallel list is who posts where; then we find ourselves
cross-posting (shades of netnews).

> What I *could* imagine is a split along the lines of:

I'd like to suggest one more:

   mac-perl-xplatform to discuss specifically cross-platform and porting
       issues (the kind you know don't run or don't fail on one platform
       or the other)

This ought to cover many of the Unix/NT/Mac issues pretty well without
actually being a "parallel"  list; I don't want to lose the community we've
got by starting a competing list!

 (Hey, MkLinux has, what is, it, about a round dozen mailing lists.  I
don't think we need go quite that far, though :-)

> My preferred solution would be for *all* of those lists to eventually
> migrate to the macperl.com domain and for digests to be made available

a good idea.  Implementation details need to be discussed offline.

With apologies to their authors, below are a few (anonymous) comments that
have arrived in my mailbox.  These people and how they work are the reason
I want to expand the list rules a bit.

> So, I'm not sure where using a Mac to develop scripts for unix deployment
> fits in here?

I think it fits squarely in the middle of where many of us sit :-)

>  I work at an ISP in Seattle, where our servers are Linux and our desks
> (all two of them) have Macs on them. I expect to be writing scripts in
> Unix Perl AND MacPerl in the near future

Better than writing them on Linux and having no Macs.  Better than desktop
boxes running Windows.

> I'll eventually have to run perl on an NT machine and I'd like a place
> with the same high quality of discussion

Welll...  but he's a Mac guy, folks, even if he does have to contend with
NT. It's a diverse world. :-)

> what I am attempting to do right now is to port UNIX code and I feel
> like some of the questions I have may or may not be Mac specific
> depending on the answer (which of course I do not know), so I hesitate
> to ask them.

sigh...

- V.
---
Vicki Brown, vlb@cfcl.com        |\      _,,,---,,_
Journeyman Sourceror      ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_
Scripts & Philtres             |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'
http://www.cfcl.com/~vlb      '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)
P.O. Box 1269 San Bruno, CA  94066