Re: [MacPerl] We're all Macperlers on this bus...

First of all, I could see advantages in a reorganization/broadening of the
scope of some of the lists, especially if this is combined with offering
digests of the discussion lists. However, I'm not overly enthusiastic about
simply creating a parallel list. What I *could* imagine is a split along the
lines of:

 1) mac-perl-announce, with an unchanged charter.
 2) mac-perl-toolbox, to discuss programming with the toolbox modules.
 3) mac-perl-bugs, to discuss feature requests, source code builds,
    and bug reports (but *real* bug reports, not just general questions with
    "is this a MacPerl bug?" included as bait :-)
 4) mac-perl, for general programming questions & a somewhat broadened scope
    as suggested by Vicki.

My preferred solution would be for *all* of those lists to eventually migrate
to the macperl.com domain and for digests to be made available for 2-4, but
of course that's a bit much to demand from Vicki & Rich. We probably should
discuss internall what is possible for them, and what migration path to chose.

Vicki Brown <vlb@cfcl.com>
>At 14:40 -0500 98/06/15, Chris Nandor wrote:
>> 1.  People apparently leave the list when we discuss non-MacPerl stuff.
>
>I'd be very interested in what the majority of members consider
>"non-MacPerl stuff".  I'd also be interested in the statistics regarding
>people leaving, subject matter, etc.  I'm a very data-oriented sort of
>person :-)

I get about 80 unsubscriptions every month; I don't count how many of those
move to -announce, change addresses, or drop out altogether, but I consider the
turnover fairly high.

Matthias

-----
   "These days, though, you have to be pretty technical before you can
    even aspire to crudeness." -- William Gibson, _Johnny Mnemonic_