[MacPerl] new user (some hand-holding required)

#!user/local/bin/perl

MacPerl::Answer("Hello World!");

After a couple years of toying around the periphery, and not acutally LEARNING
Perl (I list it as one of several languages I've failed to learn over the
years), I've come upon a problem directly related to some work I'm doing, which
has as it's solution a Perl script.

In fact, I was able to FIND the script which solves the problem quite neatly.
However, in order to use it I must first port the code to MacPerl.  Given my
track record of failing to learn new programming languages,  I'm going to
require a great deal of help, even for what I know to be a comparatively simple
task.

I have the enthusiastic permission of the original author of the script to adapt
it for my needs.

If there's anyone on this list who wouldn't mind walking me through the process,
I'd be glad to share the problem (and its solution) in more detail.