Re: [MacPerl] Feature Request: Default File Creator

Vicki Brown wrote:

::possibily important stuff snipped::

> [Yes, Alpha is a fine editor.  However BBEdit magically updates both the
> MacPerl and BBEdit windows simultaneously after you select "Edit" from the
> MacPerl "BBEdit" menu and my understanding, possibly flawed, is that Alpha
> does not (yet)).]

In addition to this, and the other very good points Vicki mentioned in her post,
 BBEdit 4.5.* allows you to change file creators when you SAVE from within it.
This is YET another good reason to "stick with the editor" rather than cut and
paste.  Additionally, once a script goes over TextEdit's 32K limit, you can't
edit it directly in Perl (although it will open and run), which puts a quick end
to "cut and paste" as an option. Any good text editor should solve this problem
somewhat. If you use it, there's no reason not to keep BBEdit running at all
times while using MacPerl (save for perhaps a need for more memory).

Since BBEdit is also a very good HTML mangling tool, when doing web work on the
Mac, I always have it running.  Also the ability to edit a file, pass it to
MacPerl for debugging, pass it BACK to BBEdit, and then FTP it directly to the
server from within BBEdit is potentially VERY handy (and not available in BBEdit
Lite).  Practically the only time I need to fire up a dedcated FTP client is
when I need to move a graphic to the server.

# Fungal Parataxonomy                 Mycology Information (Mycoinfo)
# Webmaster, Staff Writer    **The World's First Mycology E-Journal**
# <mailto:webmaster@mycoinfo.com>          <http://www.mycoinfo.com/>