Re: [MacPerl] Getting run-time versions working

At 13.41 -0400 1998.07.21, mike tarantino wrote:
>for possible solutions, and came upon Chris Nandor's droplet for
>including the text of all modules/libraries in the TEXT resource of the
>runtime.

It is not mine, I just keep reposting it.  :-)  Actually, there is a new
version, and where it is escapes me, and I don't have time to look it up.

Anyway so far so good ...

>So I added the text of dl_findfile.al to the TEXT resource, with the
>name auto:DynaLoader:dl_findfile.al. Then I tried to run it again, and
>this time the error was:
>
>    # Can't find loadable object for module Mac::Events in @INC (Mac
>HD:Desktop Folder:lib  Dev:Pseudo)
>    File 'Dev:Pseudo:Mac:Windows.pm'; Line 367
>    # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
>    File 'Mac:Windows.pm'; Line 367
>    # BEGIN failed--compilation aborted.
>    File 'Mac HD:Desktop Folder:Make Prefs File Now!'; Line 3
>
>I don't, frankly, have any idea what the problem is. So the question is,
>is this solvable or am I just chasing my tail here, running through a
>never-ending series of missing resources? Or am I on the wrong track?
>Any advice anyone can offer would be hugely appreciated.

You got everything, it seems, except for the fact that you cannot include
shared libraries in your runtime.  So there are two possibilities you have:

1.)  Include your shared libraries with the runtime in a separate folder
structure, so you will have:

  :myfolder
    :myruntime
    :lib
      :MacPPC (or MacCFM68K, or both)
        :auto
          :Mac
            :Events
              :Events
            :Windows
              :Windows
etc.

2.)  Save the runtime using the 68K BigMacPerl version of the app, which
has the libraries statically linked to the binary (68K code only).  Make
sure this is 68K code only, that the PPC code is not also in there (e.g.,
that this is not a FAT binary).  Then you will still need to do everything
up to the dl_findfile.al part, and it should work after that.  This is what
I did with whichMacPerl.  It is just 68K code, with the libraries
statically linked in.

--
Chris Nandor          mailto:pudge@pobox.com         http://pudge.net/
%PGPKey = ('B76E72AD', [1024, '0824090B CE73CA10  1FF77F13 8180B6B6'])