Re: [MacPerl] Mac to Unix & back Follow-Up

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 21:20:47 -0400 (EDT), Jeffrey D.R.S. Carl wrote:

>For my two cents' worth, running MkLinux on a PPC is great (no mucking
>around with Open Firmware, a la LinuxPPC), and serves as a great Unix Perl
>development box. Running XEmacs is the next best thing to BBEdit.

Now, now, let's not scare people unnecessisarily. You only need to "muck
around" with Open Firmware when you first install LinuxPPC. And for most,
the default settings given in the installation instructions seem to work.
(They didn't for me; I actually had to consult the FAQ-o-matic.) Once
installed, you switch back and forth with a Mac app and a shell script,
without ever having to deal with OF.

If your hardware supports both, you're slightly better off running
LinuxPPC, because the Mach kernel under MkLinux incurrs a slight
performance penalty. Otherwise, they're virtually identical. Both run
Perl, including threaded Perl 5.005_02 and the developmental Perl with UTF
support (5.005_51) flawlessly.

There's an effort nearing beta to write a LinuxPPC booter that works the
same as the MkLinux booter. Then there'll be even less need to worry about
OF.

>Jeffrey CarlDirector of M**keting, ServInt Internet Services
>(703) 847-1381 voice(703) 847-1383 fax
>"Another journalism major enters the workforce..." -Dilbert

-------
Paul J. Schinder
schinder@pobox.com